Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 11

Today is our first rest day - we have bicycled for 10 days straight. We are in Damascus, VA, a little town made famous by the Appalachian Trail that goes right through the middle of it. I have talked to several through hikers who now have been on the trail for 6 weeks - after talking to them, 10 days doesn't seem too long.

We had our first rain this morning. I was feeling a little homesick as I sat in my tent with the rain beating down. I called Bob (my hubbie) and soon I started getting phone calls from friends and my son and started feeling better!! The sun is now starting to peak through the clouds and everything is on the up-and-up.

Tomorrow is a shorter day (only 40 miles), but we have a long steep climb before the end of the day. The rest of the group seems able to go up these mountains much more easily then me. My way of going up the steep mountains is to bike and rest, bike and rest... I look ahead to the next shady spot and aim for that. I thought I was in good shape - boy, was I mistaken!! I have accomplished the end point each day without having to call the sag wagon! My new philosophy is, "I bike to coast!"

One of these days, I will learn how to upload some photographs from my camera to the computer.

I'll talk to you soon. Our next rest day is in 6 days in Berea, KY. If I don't post before then, I'll post from Berea!

6 comments:

  1. Joyce - you are brave and should be proud of yourself! Take care, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin good woman. I am just getting back on my bike. Did 30 miles at St Simons today. Can not fathom more than 50 miles with mountains. Can't wait to read more and see pictures. You are a major inspiration. Can't wait to go riding or hiking with you when ya get back to GA.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration to us all, Joyce! Just think how easy you'll find riding in Georgia after this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the words of the greatest encouragement ever given to a woman....YOU GO GIRL!!That's right Dr. King show them 60 is the new 30!!! Please give my salutes to the President as you bike pass!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce. I am thinking that you are getting stronger and stronger as the days go by and by the time you reach the Rocky Mtns, they will be a piece of cake! I was thinking about you the past two days while working and sweating in my yard and wondering if it is as hot and humid for you. Looking forwardto your next post. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce,
    You will be going thru Berea, KY where my mom went to college and where Laura Kimble went also. A little but sorta charming college town.
    Perhaps you are already there. Glad you are enjoying your traveling companions. Keep bikin'!
    love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete