Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hi Everyone,

Today is my final blog. After biking 1200 miles and almost having a fatal collision with a coal truck yesterday, I have decided to come home. I wasn't injured, but the truck was so close that he clipped my mirror - I don't know why it wasn't my elbow or my leg!! Anyway, it has made me very paranoid and after a night of tossing and turning in my tent, I decided that it was best at this time for me to head home. It was a very difficult decision to leave my fellow cyclists as well as to abandon my adventure. I'm currently at the library in Chester, IL waiting for my husband to pick me up. Thank you all for your support over the last several weeks and I'll see you soon!

Love, Joyce

7 comments:

  1. Dr. King,
    You are an inspiration. I am proud of your decision. I would have been so disappointed to not have you in Genetics this fall. Sorry there is not more respect for cyclists on the open road.

    Erin McChristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are okay and safe! You are still an inspiration for us all, simply by beginning this journey. Have a wonderful rest of your summer!

    ~Kari Doubleday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dr. King,

    What an adventure you have had, and just like any of life's adventures, who knew what it would bring--its trials and treasures! I am so proud of you (if I may say that) that you have lived your dream and celebrated yourself just as you wanted. Your trip ending early opens the door to other possibilities, which I hope will bring you joy as you move towards them. Thank you for being you--a symbol of joie de vivre for all of us to learn from and be inspired by.

    with care,

    Meg Sniderman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, this was a HUGE undertaking, and I am SO glad you did it. I am sure it has taught you a ton about yourself and others. I admire your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Joyce!
    Way to stare down a coal truck!
    Come home safe and tell us stories; I'm waiting for a glass of wine and some hilarity. I'm letting my hair grow gray to celebrate my 50th-not quite so adventurous:)
    Love, Maeve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joyce! I think that it's so wonderful that you even attempted this journey! You are an inspiration to us all, and we are all glad that you're safe! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures in the Fall.

    Be well!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr King!

    We're all very proud of you for the fantastic job you did! We're all also very relieved you're safe...look forward to seeing you soon.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete